The myriad allures of Kansas City ranges from stunning parks and fountains to outstanding barbecue, to extremely friendly locals and world class attractions. With an estimated population of 2.1 million, KCMO is the nation's 29th largest metropolitan area. Did you know that Kansas City has over 200 fountains, claiming to have the world’s second most, just behind Rome? Thus, KC is officially nicknamed as the "City of Fountains.”
Image by MARELBU via https://goo.gl/maps/ewEvA9CVic72
Interesting Facts About Kansas City
- Kansas City is also known as "KCMO", "KC", the "City of Fountains", or the "Heart of America."
- Estimated population of KCMO, according to US census report 2010 was 459,787.
- According to the Kansas City Barbecue Society, the city has the most BBQ restaurants per capita than any other city in the US.
- Since the 1920s, Jazz has been an important part of KC.
- During the 1920s, KCMO ignored Prohibition and that led to an abundance of jazz clubs, gambling halls and brothels.
- KC is ranked as the leading maker of boxed chocolates in the world.
- The 1st animation studio by Walt Disney, Laugh-O-Gram Studios was established in Kansas City.
- Fountain Day is held in KC annually, every April and it is the day when all the city's numerous fountains are turned on for the season.
- Kansas City's Temple Slug is the oldest waterbed store in the world.
- KCMO comprises of over 240 neighborhoods.
- KC's KCTV-Tower is the tallest freestanding structure in Missouri.
- Kansas City has the 2nd largest population of Sudanese and Somali in the US.
- The largest employer in the KC metro area is the federal government.